I finally got some of my Grandma Mollie’s recipes from my Aunt and I am so happy to have this sponge cake recipe. My Grandma died in the 90’s and was a huge loss. We lost our matriarch and the best cook in the family!
I’m going to be making a book of her recipes as well as pictures for the family and will post some of them here too. I hope you all have a lovely Passover. Chag Sameach.
1 Cup Sugar
3/4 Cup matzo cake meal
1/4 Cup Potato Starch
Juice from ½ orange and rind
Juice from ½ lemon and rind
10’ Tube Pan (do not grease)
1 Cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Separate the eggs
- Mix the juices and rinds of the orange and lemon along with oil – cream until foaming. Then set aside.
- Beat the egg whites with the sugar until stiff
- Fold the egg mixtures together by hand then fold in the orange and lemon mixture
- Sift cake meal and starch together
- Fold in sifted cake meal and starch one teaspoon at a time
- Pour mixture into prepared tube pan
- Bake 325 degrees for 1 hour until cake springs back to the touch
- Invert pan to cool. When cool, run a knife around the sides of the cake before removing from pan
- Melt the cup of semi sweet chocolate chips over low heat in a double boiler until its smooth and the chips are entirely melted – Then cover the cake with a layer of chocolate